Tuesday 16 August 2011

Dichotomies

Life is often contradictory. And I'm finding being a stay-at-home mom to be so as well. Primarily in the area of expectations and discipline.

We Catholics/Christians are imperfect beings striving for perfection. We are created with concupiscence yet attempting to not sin. It is also so with our disciplining of our children. While we must strive to accept where they are in their development and in their paths to holiness, we must also help them to become the best people they can be, through prayer, discipline, and teaching. Now, that doesn't sound so hard.

But this is exactly where I am struggling. Disobedience. Ugh! I had a little meltdown yesterday. Ok, a big meltdown yesterday. Luckily I was at my mom's and dad's house, and my mom was able to take the kids while I went into the bedroom and cried. She was also able to explain to them, in a way that I was at the time unable to do, that they must obey. And it also helps when it comes from Grandma rather than from Mom. The boys, especially the older one, had been very disobedient the last 10 days, and very melodramatic, a combination that leaves me bewildered and unsure as to what to do. On one hand, he needs discipline; on the other hand, he needs support and compassion.

So he tested me and drove me to my breaking point, and now, after having seeing me that way, he is listening and obeying fairly well. At least for now. But why did he need to see where my breaking point was before he would obey?

So at this time, accepting where the boys are in their development and their path to holiness while helping to mold them into good, holy people seems like a looming, very difficult task.

1 comment:

  1. Hang in there - we all have those times. It's just like running and hitting "the wall" - if you can force yourself to that point - past all the mental barriers, the physical and emotional exhaustion, the I-can't-do-it-anymore, things'll get better and you'll feel less like you're battling everything and your own thoughts just to keep going. Soon enough, with the grace of God, you'll be back to where things are manageable, and then maybe even enjoyable and fun.

    Thanks for this post, as writing this comment is a pep talk that I really needed to hear. Keep on going. Hang in there. Yep, I'm there, too! :-)

    ReplyDelete